Saturday, January 31, 2015

ATM: My 2014 Skincare Story

2014 was a huge year of experimentation for me where beauty was concerned; I was a lot more daring and adventurous, leaving my comfort zone of familiar brands and trying more 'obscure' one. Towards the end of the year, I stuck to a combination of products which I really enjoyed. But besides products, I have also been visiting Trinity Medical Centre (Marine Parade) for treatments once every month or two. Depending on my skin condition during consultation, Dr. Lim prescribes the appropriate treatment. Here are some of the treatments that I have gone for in the past year:

Spectra Carbon Laser Peel
When late nights wrecked havoc on my skin (Think: Zits, blackheads, ew.), Dr. Lim did the Spectra Carbon Laser Peel. I had this done several times and it's one of my favourite treatments. There was no downtime and it really helped with balancing the excess sebum production. My face is still a breeding ground for blackheads, but zits usually just come during the time of the month now. Or if I try to be smart by squeezing a blackhead and end up infecting it more (Seriously, need to STOP touching my stupid face.).

Nd:YAG Laser Rejuvenation
When my skin decided to be obedient and look decent, Dr. Lim did the Nd:YAG Laser Rejuvenation. This treatment stimulates the growth of collagen, makes skin smoother, lightens pigments and is great for monthly maintenance. After each session, my complexion looked clearer and my skin felt perkier.

Very recently, I have also decided to laser away some of the many tiny raised bumps on my face. These bumps are either oil seeds or caused by sun damage (Am INCREDIBLY religious with the sunscreen now.). So basically, these bumps were burned off and became tiny red spots immediately. It did hurt but the pain came fast and went away quickly. Scabs were formed in a day or two and you are supposed to just leave them on your face for as long as possible so that the skin can heal properly. Unfortunately, I'm quite rough so mine took a while to heal. But heyyy, those that were laser-ed off are permanently gone! さよなら!

And now, for the products which I was using...

  • HABA's Squa Powder Wash: This is the cleanser that I use in the morning (Yes, I'm still using it in 2015!). And the more I use it, the more I like it. The powder, when combined with water, creates a velvety smooth foam that feels so good on the skin. It's gentle and doesn't leave my skin dry after washing. I did a review on HABA products back in March and you can read it here.

  • bSoul's Hydra Milk Cleanser: I started on the entire range a pretty long while back. But at that time, my skin was going through quite a tumultuous period so in the end, I decided to stick with products my skin was more familiar with and just use the cleanser. This cleanser contains argan oil, rosa moschata, rosemary extract, sage, thyme and natural surfactants to cleanse the skin physiologically, while respecting the hydro-lipoprotein film of the skin. It neither irritates my sensitive skin nor leaves it feeling dry after washing. I use this at night, after removing my makeup with an Innisfree makeup remover.

  • Kose's Sekkisei Lotion: I got this as a GWP a long time ago and only started using it because it was going to expire. Haha. I didn't turn fairer but it was light, cooling and a joy to apply on the face. It also helped prep my face for subsequent products. I'm kind of on the fence as to whether I should repurchase this again because I didn't get the whitening effect that others got. BUT MUA's reviews are all really good so maybe, just maybe, I will give it another chance.

  • HADA LABO's Goku-jyun Clear Lotion: This was a huge favourite of mine previously and I decided to revisit it when my skin was in dire straits. It keeps my skin well-hydrated and clear. A doctor, whom I met recently, swears by hyaluronic acid for his crystal clear skin!

  • RODIN Olio Lusso's Face Oil: Okay, this is the most expensive facial product that I have ever (so carelessly) splurged on. I think I was very stressed at the point of purchase BUT then again, it was featured like a gazillion times on Intothegloss.com so it must be THAT AWESOME. And it is! Just a few drops and it eliminates dryness and redness throughout the day. There's like a visible and distinct difference. I friggin' love this! There are some days when I just use like 5 drops and let my face soak in all that botanical goodness (No, I can't afford to do this often. ): Only when the days are bad and I need to cheer myself up a little. Heh.).

  • DermaVeen's Moisturizing Lotion: This is like gold to me. And I find that it compliments RODIN Olio Lusso's Face Oil especially well. My complexion is usually super duper clear and radiant the next day. And because this is so much more inexpensive than the oil, I buy back-ups every time Watsons or Guardian has a sale. Read how this helped me with my rash here. :D
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Hi! How much is Spectra Carbon Laser Peel? I found many good reviews of Trinity Medical Centre (Marine Parade) but nobody mentioned about price range. Hope you can help me :)

    ReplyDelete

© xoxo, charlene. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig