Monday, April 22, 2013

REVIEW: Novalash's Eyelash Extensions by Lolita

In February, I attended Beauty Asia 2013 and got the chance to try out Novalash's Eyelash Extensions at Lolita Group's booth. My lashes were given the most lustrous and gorgeous boost and when the extensions finally shed, I was pretty bummed out (Cue: Plays Gabrielle's 'Out of Reach' on repeat. The song is incredibly sad and beautiful at the same time.). So you can imagine my joy when Joyce, the owner of Lolita Group, asked if I wanted to be one of the 3 Lolita/ Novalash ambassadors! So yes, I'm currently the ambassador for Lolita/ Novalash and I'll be blogging about my journey of gorgeous, fluttery lashes in the coming 6 months!

But guess what?!? The happiness doesn't just end with me! My readers, a.k.a YOU, get something out of the sponsorship too (Read on for April's and May's promotion! :D), so do join me on the ride kay and we will be batting our eyes together like Betty Boop!

Anyway, back to my 2nd session of eyelash extensions! When I visited Lolita on April 7th, the place was already all done up! It was a lot brighter and looked more spacious. And instead of one room with 3 beds (I think!), there are now 3 sections, 2 of which have 2 beds and the last one with just 1.

The place was, as usual, incredibly clean and the bed, very comfy. I would probably have fallen asleep, if I weren't having an engaging conversation with Shu Xian, my therapist!

I blogged pretty extensively about the whole eyelash extension process in my Beauty Asia 2013 post so, I'll just write about the before and after and do a little comparison today.

My natural lashes are your average short, sparse and very thin Asian ones. I used to load up on lots of mascaras but the good ones were pretty tough to remove and I would lose a few in the removal process and often, woke up to dark eye circles brought about by leftover mascara (I never ever clean off everything.).

At the start of this year, I switched to false eyelashes and though they looked really good and all, sticking them on took forever (For me. :\). Sometimes, the glue would get onto my natural lashes and they would end up looking more messy than classy. And the worst thing of all, was when the glue lost its adhesiveness and I ended up looking like my eyeballs were growing hair. Not a pretty sight, nuh-uh.

So eyelash extensions are the best thing to have happened to me this year, in the beauty department. Shu Xian gave me really subtle and natural-looking lashes so that they didn't overwhelm my eyes. Instead, they brightened them up by providing a nice, dense frame and make me look more awake and refreshed, even when I have no makeup on!

The other day, Mum commented that she really liked this set of lashes and I was really surprised because she doesn't usually encourage such stuff. Am thinking of taking her to Lolita and let Shu Xian work her magic on her lashes for a Mother's Day treat!

Here's how the lashes look like with eyeliner and contacts. (: Really, really natural! Thanks so much, Shu Xian!!! (:

Yes, I'm very pleased with my lashes! Heh. :D

And now for April's and May's promotion for my readers! All you have to do is to quote 'Novalash@charlene' when you make an appointment with Lolita at +65 6338 9981 and you get to enjoy Novalash's Eyelash Extensions at $39, instead of $139! Shu Xian, my therapist, will be working on your lashes and she was really gentle! Just like my previous session, I felt no pain at all! I'll blog more about her in my next entry. (:

LOLITA GROUP
6 Raffles Boulevard
#B1-12 Marina Square
Tel.: +65 6338 9981
URL: http://www.lolitagroup.com/
-

Below is an excerpt (The steps and FAQ!) from my Beauty Asia 2013 post, where I first tried Novalash's eyelash extensions!

Step 1: Cleansing of eye makeup, mascara and false eyelashes especially.
Step 2: Applying eye masks and under-eye stickers to separate your upper lashes from the bottom ones and your skin.
Step 3: Attaching the eyelash extensions on!
Step 4: Drying the glue with a handheld fan for 5 minutes (At the salon, a different fan is used and all it takes is just 2 minutes!). There is the spraying of water in-between as it helps the glue adhere to your natural lashes better.

Are your eyelash extensions painful?
No, they aren't. They didn't hurt during or after application. Even now, they don't hurt at all. However, I do think that the therapist plays a very important role during application. Pinky is Lolita's top therapist so you may want to look for her. She started doing eyelash extensions 2 years back. (:

Are the eyelash extensions going to affect my natural lashes?
Jocelyn explained that the Novalash system involves the attachment of the eyelash extensions to your natural eyelashes, about 1mm away from the roots. This way, your roots aren't touched (And so, won't be damaged!) so your natural lashes won't be affected. And typically, 1-3 eyelashes are supposed to drop from each eye everyday.

Can my eyelash extensions touch water?
Yes, they can! Unlike other eyelash extensions, Novalash 'loves' water! After the eyelash extensions are attached, a burst of water is actually sprayed (In-between drying!) on the lashes to help the glue adhere better! I shower with ease!!!

Can I wear makeup with these eyelash extensions on?
Yes, you can! Just make sure that your makeup removers don't contain glycol! Alternatively, you can purchase cleanLASH by NOVALASH, 3-in-1 conditioner, makeup remover, cleanser. This comes in 60 circular pads, soaked in pomegranate seed extracts. I bought a tub of this at the show for $29. I find them a little oily so I do wash my eye area with my cleanser after that (Make sure this doesn't contain glycol too!!! I didn't check mine until this morning. ):)

What are the eyelash extensions made of? Are there different lengths and degrees of curl?
The eyelash extensions are synthetic. 3 lengths were available; 8mm, 12mm and 14mm. The therapist will actually use different lengths for you in order to mimic natural eyelashes. And yes, there are different degrees of curl.

Are there coloured eyelash extensions?
Yes. (: There are brown, purple (Used for subtle highlighting!) and even green ones! Chinese ladies usually go for black, unless they have dyed their hair. Caucasians go for brown.

How long will the eyelash extensions last?
About 3-4 weeks!

What happens when I want to remove my eyelash extensions?
You can either make an appointment with Lolita to get them removed or just wait for them to drop naturally!

How much do the eyelash extensions cost?
At the show, each set costs $89. At the salon, different therapists charge differently. For Pinky, it's $169. Touch-ups are at $129.

Can I learn how to do eyelash extensions?
Yes, you can! Jocelyn does the training personally. Her trained therapists will be there to help out as well. Unfortunately, I haven't got the exact price of the 2-day class (At the show, it's $1400+?). You will need to pass oral, theory and practical tests before you are certified. If you fail, Jocelyn will teach you till you pass. (:

Any other things that I need to take note?
Don't indulge in any steaming activities for two days after getting your lashes done. This will weaken the glue. Also, avoid glycol at all costs! Do check your makeup removers AND cleansers! I was so preoccupied with my lashes and using a new makeup remover that I forgot about my cleanser. ): 4 strands have dropped off already. ): ): ): Thankfully, I don't see any gaps though but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! ): ): ):

SHARE:

6 comments

  1. hi, how many lashes dyou put per eye? there's a promotion on groupon and im thinking of trying it! my first time though, and im not sure if i should get 80 or 160!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm terribly sorry for the late reply! I wasn't in Singapore. I'm not exactly sure the exact number of lashes I have on. I just told my therapist that I wanted the natural look. 80 would probably just enhance your eyes, whereas 160 would provide more glamour. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll see what I can do to help!

      Delete
  2. I think she got the 160 stands. I saw another blogger that got the 80 stands @$38 one and hers looks so much more sparse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey (: Thanks for helping me reply while I was away! Greatly appreciated! :DDD

      Delete
  3. Eyelash extension is a good solution for immediate result, but be aware that no matter what type of extension you get they will thin out your natural eyelashes. Other thing to keep in mind is the maintenance and restriction of having eyelash extension.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello....is Lolita still offering any specials? I am coming to Singapore next week and want to try extensions!

    ReplyDelete

© xoxo, charlene. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig