Wednesday, May 8, 2013

LOOKBOOK: The sailor and her book.

Sailor dress from a small shop in Orchard
-

One of my favourite sea scenes is from C.S. Lewis' The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, where Prince Caspian was tasked to find the seven lost Lords of Narnia. I was actually hoping that it would be as exciting as The 7th Voyage of Sinbad but umm guess not. Still, I enjoyed both the book and the movie thoroughly. I probably should have featured the book in the above shots instead of Dark Tales, the book I was reading then. Ah well. Another time, perhaps.

Anyway, the dress is made of comfortable cotton that's rather thick. This makes it perfect for the wet and chilly weather we have these days. The design and colours are sharp, so the dress is appropriate for most occasions. I like that the bottom flares out a little and swings and swishes as I spin. (:

Dark Tales is the first 'horror' book I have read in years (Let's see... The last one was True Singapore Ghost Stories XX.). This book is the child of a writing workshop, organized by the National Library Board. Titled 'Spin Your Supernatural Yarn', the workshop saw Verena Tay, a local writer and storyteller, challenging participants to, well, spin their own spine chillers. The book is given out at Kinokuniya bookstores.

The book consists of 5 short stories and each read like a piece of composition. It was an easy read, though the writing didn't exactly appeal to me. Nevertheless, I think such initiatives are good. Many of us don't write anymore.

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Wow love that deep blue colour against your very fair skin!~ I read True Singapore Ghost Stories too when I was in Sec sch... Then later I read Japanese horror manga and still think that visuals are scarier than text... lolx~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jones, you're super fast! I just blogged this! Haha. I read when I was in primary school. Gosh! I clearly remember those nights when I couldn't sleep and avoided mirrors at night.

      Eeps!!! I didn't think manga horror stories would be scary! I mean, do they have big sparkly eyes like the other manga characters?!?

      Delete

© xoxo, charlene. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig