Sunday, July 24, 2011

FILM: Girl, Interrupted



'Girl, Interrupted' is roughly based on the book of the same name by Susanna Kaysen. It speaks of the time she spent at a psychiatric hospital. It deviates a fair bit from the book, attracting quite a lot of slamming, even from Kaysen herself. The summary of the film can be read here. Just because I'm horrid at penning down summaries.

I'm still at the early pages of my 2nd reading of the book. But really, I think that when you're retelling someone's memoir, you ought to respect it. I don't think that the Lisa that I know from the book will be as cold and as unfeeling as the film's Lisa.

When you don't want to feel, death can seem like a dream. But seeing death, really seeing it, makes dreaming about it fucking ridiculous.


I think that death is a pretty common thought (Right?!?). I have thought of it, definitely. When the world seems to be falling in, when your candle is imploding, when your bed of roses is wilting, it just seems so easy to throw the towel in and cease all thinking and just not feel anything.

But it's when there's this really impossibly huge wall in front of us, and we keep going at it... That determination and perseverance make us who we are. The ways in which we overcome those bumps and pits answer the questions 'Who am I? What does it all mean? Why am I here? (From 'Easy A'.)'.
-

When I was a kid, I was an avid Neopets user (I was still playing Meerca Chase when I was in junior college. Whack-A-Staff-Member was my stress reliever for the O Levels. Extremely effective, I must say. Haha.). Each time I 'did something wrong (Like making friends on those chatboards and then, I didn't want to be friends anymore. Or like when I got my account suspended. Or when I created multiple accounts to join guilds so that I could get multiple codestones. Please don't judge! I was a kid!)', I just created a new account. It was like restarting 'life'. Gawd knows how many accounts I created.

And when something did eventually go wrong in my actual life, I prayed for a restart button. I prayed and prayed, and thought about death. But I knew time wasn't going to be so magnanimous and that death means death. It wasn't like I could cancel my life and start a new one. It took me a while to accept reality because back then, I really believed that if I prayed hard enough, things would suddenly spin around me and I would find myself living the past (But in a different way, of course.).

I'm thankful that even when I wish I could obliterate myself, I stuck through things. It was hard because I'm very self-conscious. But I stuck through it and I'm really thankful for the many nudges by people I know and by people I don't know along the way.

This seems really off-topic but it isn't, trust me. I think. Haha. The film's Lisa was stuck in the hospital for 8 years because she gave up on herself. When you do that, you stay on the same square, forever. Maybe you even move back a million steps. And life will just pass you by.

What it takes for you to make that tiny step forward defines who you are.
-

Hmm... I really ought to read more. I think my thoughts are all jumbled up, up there. I hope you get a little of what I mean.

Anyway, this is my first movie of Winona Ryder. I have heard of her (Shoplifting, I think of her.). She's very pretty. The prettiest actress, I do believe.

Angelina Jolie was splendid as Lisa. I finally comprehended why she is an A-lister. I have only watched two of her other movies, 'Lara Croft: Tomb Raider' and 'Mr. & Mrs. Smith', and well, those 2 didn't quite seem to explain the status that she holds in Hollywood.

I thought Angela Bettis, who played Janet, was familiar and of course, I wiki-ed her. And she was Carrie!!! Haha. I felt strangely happy to be 'reunited' with her though 'Carrie' scared the bejeezus out of me!

Brittany Murphy was Daisy. I know she's the '8 Mile' girl and I didn't know that she was gone.

Amy Winehouse is gone too.

I wish people treated life more seriously.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© xoxo, charlene. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig